Saturday 8 December 2012

My Bookish Review: Pure

Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Published: 3rd April 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Series: Covenant #2
Pages: 329

There is need. And then there is Fate 
Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. 
When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her. 
When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


Pure is the second novel in the Covenant series and, like all Jennifer L. Armentrout book so far, I loved it. 

This book has been on my TBR list for quite a while, mainly because I saw the cover somewhere and developed an obsessive urge to read it - then I discovered its the second installment in a series about Greek mythology, (which I'm a huge fan of) so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

There's a love triangle. I'm not keen on love triangles... they seem too cliché. However, this love triangle is anything but. On one hand, there's Seth, the Apollyn, and on the other there's Aiden. I don't think I like Seth. There are times when I do feel kind of sorry for him, but then Aiden comes along and I'm all over him. Team Aiden all the way.  He's pure-blood and also a Sentinel, which is rare for his kind.

 Pures are seen as superior to half-bloods (which is what Alex and Seth are). This then means that they get to go out, have successful careers and make babies with other good-looking pures. Half-bloods on the other hand, have two options only - either become a Sentinel (go out and hunt daimons) or live a life full of slavery. Nice.

So basically, falling for Aiden is completely against the rules. But she already has.

Romance isn't the main element of the book, though. There are quite a few surprises and interesting story lines. I found myself laughing out loud when I read this, and knowing myself, that's pretty rare. It takes quite a lot in books for me to laugh properly and just enjoy it. Then there were times I felt the need to cry along with Alex, and grieve like she was. This are all the causes of an amazing author.

If you've read Half-Blood already, then you need to get your hands on this as soon as possible. If you haven't then I seriously recommend that you start reading the series - I hope you love it as much as I do.

You can read my review to Half-Blood here.

5/5 Stars - Love, love, LOVE this series so far. 

Teaser Quote:
“Ever since I’ve met you, I’ve wanted to break every rule.” Aiden turned away, the muscles in his neck tensing. He sighed. “You’ll become the centre of someone’s world one day. And he’ll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth.”
Amazon | Goodreads | Author's Website 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I read each one.
Thank you :)