Friday 16 November 2012

My Bookish Review: Seeking Crystal

Seeking Crystal by Joss Stirling

Published: 4th October 2012
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Series: Benedicts #3
Pages: 258


I was expecting a lot from this book. Checking the author's website numerous times, countless days of waiting, fantasising about reading the book at last - it all had to add up to something,  right? At last,  I can say with full conviction: I was not disappointed. 

The book starts by introducing us to the main character, the person who's perspective we see. Crystal Brook is a very tall, very funny and very normal nineteen-year-old. That's right... normal. Unlike her whole family, she's not been blessed with extraordinary powers - therefore, in the eyes of the Savant world, making her a failure. She's spends her whole life believing she's worthless and good-for-nothing. This just made me empathise with her so much. I've never read any book with a protagonist who was insecure of herself. Have I had heroines who are way too whiny? Yes. Heroines who are way too feisty? Yes. Heroines who are beautiful in their own way, model-looks aside, yet still feel uncomfortable in their skin? No.

Of course, the fact that she's the youngest of six older, successful siblings doesn't help. Neither does the fact that she's lost one of her parents . Then, suddenly, her older sister Diamond finds her one-and-only in the infamous Benedict family. Yay. Everything would be alright for Crystal, if another of the Benedicts didn't happen to be some annoying, conceited, yet charmingly handsome guy. That's right. I'm talking about Xavier Benedict.

Ah, Xav. Who wouldn't love Xav? He's one of my favourite out of all the brothers and I can't help but wish he was real. I have a full-blown fictional crush on him. So why does Crystal hate him so much? However, the more I read of the book, the more I understood her reasons. In fact, it made me like her even more; she's not another fickle character. She can actually try and resist his alluring charm and gifted good-looks. Crystal's pretty real for someone fictional. 

Then came the setting. I've never personally been to Venice, but the way Joss Stirling decides to construct its description makes me want to see all its beauty myself. She's written a part of the book in America and shown the clear contrast between the two countries. We hear of the USA so often - it was refreshing to have a plot situated in north Italy.

The main reason I wanted to read this was because I've already read fallen in love with Stirling's previous writing. Yet, she continues to come up with fresh ideas that impress me. Despite this though, the cover would be enough to attract my attention. It's so... mysterious. Is that the right word for it? I don't think it does it justice, but it's the closest I can get right now. I think Oxford University Press and Joss Stirling have done a wonderful job in making sure the cover is captivating. 

Overall, Seeking Crystal is unique read. Although at times it did become a little predictable, the style in which it was written keeps the reader's interest.  It's a book full of  devastatingly gorgeous guys, hardcore plans, a creepy, evil villain, and an enjoyable, sweet romance. If you're someone who enjoys a light read, full of all the themes needed to make an excellent teen read, this one's for you. Go buy Seeking Crystal - you don't even need to read the first two to fully understand the book, though I do recommend you read them. It's a book I know you won't regret reading if it seems like your type. Seriously.

5/5 Stars - This book was the only thing on my bookish thoughts for weeks. 

Teaser Quote: 
"I would have normally tried to ignore the display of tanned arms and glimpse of toned midriff this flailing about revealed, but, hey, I have hormones like the next girl. Some things in life are worth seeing." 
Amazon | Goodreads Author's Website 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I read each one.
Thank you :)